Historic Corron Farm in Campton Township has joined an exclusive club.
The fully intact farm, which dates back to the mid-19th century, was recently listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the U.S. Department of the Interior.
It is among 75 Kane County sites to land on the official list of the nation’s historic places worthy of preservation.
Thomas Corron, Corron Farm Preservation Society Board chair emeritus and great-grandson of settler Robert Corron, said gaining the National Register was a huge project and great accomplishment.
“The filings included an extensive write-up of the historical significance and history of Corron Farm including photographs, floor plans, site plan, and location map,” Corron said.
Corron Farm is located at 7N716 Corron Road in St. Charles. The farmstead was settled by Robert Corron in October of 1835 and purchased from the Corron family by Campton Township in 2002 as part of their Open Space Program.
The fully intact farm and associated outbuildings represent the development of a mid-19th century farmstead during the early settlement period of Kane County and Campton Township — as well as Northeastern Illinois.
The period of significance is from 1835 the year the land was first settled and farmed by Robert Corron, to 1967, the 50-year cut off for the National Register of Historic Places.
Campton Township’s Open Space Program restricts the use and management of the property to benefit the citizens of the community and its future generations and preserve and protect the semi-rural character of the township.
The township acquired open land for passive and active recreational purposes and for the protection of farmland, historic landmarks, scenic roadways, wetlands, woodlands, wildlife, and geologically significant features.
As the Open Space Program’s first purchase in 2002, the 221-acre Corron Farm is often referred to as the “crown jewel” property for Campton Township.
Robert Corron arrived in Campton Township in 1835, laid claim to the land and built a log cabin. From 1842 to 1847, he purchased parcels from the federal government, cleared the land, and began raising crops. In 1854, he accomplished his dream of building a Greek Revival home reminiscent of the one he had seen in southern Virginia.
This dairy farm, which supplied milk to the 1893 World’s Fair in Chicago, was managed by his descendants for more than 160 years.
In 2003, Corron Farm was listed on the Kane County Historic Register. The farm is listed on the Kane County Register of Historic Places for historical and architectural significance “…as an excellent example of an early Kane County farmstead, having excellent architectural integrity, and a unique example of an architectural style”.
The farmstead retains a high degree of architectural integrity and historical significance making it eligible for listing to the National Register of Historic Places.
Much of the charm associated with the Corron Farm stems from the history of continuous farming by the same family. The Corron Farm is preserved to commemorate the Corron family’s contributions to the settlement and agricultural history of Campton Township.
Through various grants, Campton Township has established walking trails, converted 180 acres of cropland to prairie, restored 41 acres of oak savanna and wetland landscapes, renovated the homestead’s Italianate front porch and some of the outbuildings, and created a parking lot for visitor access to Corron Farm.
In 2007, to celebrate its open space, the Township began hosting its annual Prairie Fest at Corron Farm. This festival showcases the prairie restoration and historical farm site, and features hayrides, farm tours, and various local agricultural and nature-related exhibits. This year’s Prairie Fest celebration will be held on Sept. 22 from 11 a.m.-4 p.m.
But due to limited funds spread across multiple properties, Campton Township has had difficulty maintaining and restoring this historic farmstead.
In 2011, the great-grandson’s of Robert Corron, David and Thomas Corron, Laurel Garza, Denise Morgan, and Jack Shouba, other family members, volunteers, and concerned citizens stepped forward to create the Corron Farm Preservation Society whose mission is to preserve, increase and enrich knowledge of the history of the Corron Farm and early Campton Township and to provide leisure and educational opportunities for township residents, businesses and surrounding communities.
Their first project was completed in 2013 and funded the repairs of the six brick pillars facing Corron Road. Other projects have included restoration of the Corron Family Carriage, Pony Cart and Sleigh.
— Historic Corron Farm earns National Register designation —-