Chicago police are warning residents of the Near West Side to be on alert after two females were robbed.
In each incident, the offender approached a lone female on foot and attempted to take personal property by force. In one of the incidents, the offender was successful in taking a purse and fleeing on foot.
The robberies occurred at:
- 11:10 a.m. May 8 in the 700 block of West Madison Street.
- 11:30 a.m. May 31 in the first block of North Halsted Street.
The offender in one incident was described as a black male between 15 and 20 years of age, 5 feet to 5-3, weighing 150-160 pounds and having brown eyes and black hair.
The other offender was described as a 15-year-old male black, 5-8, 140 pounds, with short black hair and a dark brown complexion.
Police provided the following tips to avoid being robbed and how to react, if robbed:
- Always be aware of your surroundings.
- Report suspicious activity immediately.
- If confronted by an assailant, remain calm.
- Remember any unique physical characteristics (scars, limp, acne, teeth, etc.)
- Never pursue a fleeing assailant, provide the information to police.
- If video surveillance equipment is present, save a copy of the incident for investigating detectives.
- If approached by a witness to the incident, request contact information.
- Dial 911 immediately and remain on the scene, when possible.
Anyone with information about the robberies or the offenders should contact the Chicago Police Department’s Bureau of Detectives for Area Central at 312-747-8380.